Snowshoes

One of the problems with snowshoes is they force an unnatural gait (apparently)

Applying industrial design skills Eric Brunt has come up with an idea to maintain the benefits of snowshoes whilst eliminating some of the problems.

Flux Snowshoes
Flux Snowshoes

No idea whatsoever if they work but just in case we get involved with a Russian winter :)

[browser-shot width=”600″ url=”http://www.core77.com/blog/footwear/eric_brunts_flux_snowshoes_transform_with_each_step_27333.asp”]

monkey
monkey
August 4, 2014 8:46 am

@TD re Russian winters, if we order them now they should arrive by next June

mike
mike
August 4, 2014 8:55 am

looks a bit much for replacing a rather simple design, one that troops can be taught to make from natural materials.
However, if this means you can run in them, that makes it different.

Nick
Nick
August 4, 2014 10:29 am

Ever used them ? Bloody tiring, but I’m sure I didn’t learn the proper gait though

Rolf Spriggs
Rolf Spriggs
August 4, 2014 12:51 pm

From experience I suggest that the moving parts will soon become clogged with ice and snow . The existing designs are so simple and robust that learning to walk with an exaggerated gait is probably the best all round solution. Fair play to Eric though for thinking outside the box.

Shackvan
Shackvan
August 4, 2014 2:17 pm

@Rolf

Ice and snow build up would certainly be my concern for any moving parts, I have seen a lot of very fancy hydrophobic coatings recently however that I suspect, if applied to these shoe’s, could solve the problem by preventing frozen water ever bonding with the surface.

Allan
Allan
August 4, 2014 3:37 pm

@Monkey, “@TD re Russian winters, if we order them now they should arrive by next June”. Err, do you really think that HMG could make that schedule…..it is August already…..

IXION
August 5, 2014 11:00 am

TD

Keep em coming.

I read them all and am enlightened.

its just difficult even for the bunch of know it alls on here to pontificate or comment beyond a certain amount of oo err ain’t that clever…

The Other Chris
August 5, 2014 12:15 pm

Would have loved something like these when growing up!

Biggest improvement for me personally would be the narrowing of the shoe when lifted, walking with the wide waddling stance to stop the shoes knocking together used to hurt the inside of my knees no end. Could always live with lifting the knees higher and having to flex the ankle more, at least they’re more natural movements!

@Shackvan’s comments about clogging up is a pretty good point. Wonder if the origami design is susceptible?