The RAF and the Perils of Facebook

An amusing banana skin this morning from the RAF media team

The image below is a screengrab from my feed reader showing the original title and content.

An ‘oops’ and a snake hips sidestep later, the live post on Facebook has been corrected, as per the screen grab below

It’s OK chaps

I don’t think anyone noticed :)

oldreem
November 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Can’t play it – keep getting diverted to flickr, whatever that is.
What about it – is he on hunger strike?

TED
TED
November 27, 2013 12:39 pm

I’ve read it 5 times now I give up, Is it just bobby is in””?

Peter Elliott
November 27, 2013 12:51 pm

They are thinking of the IRA hunger striker. Presumably deemed both non-PC and bad taste.

Deja Vu
Deja Vu
November 27, 2013 1:40 pm

My first dinner night at the Corps Mess was the night Bobby Sands died. Living across the water in the Poulson designed motel, we ruck up in a coach, subalterns ( like me) at the back, Colonels & Majors at the front, the sprog guard (probably on his trade course) has to go down checking 100% of ID cards. by the time he was at the back he was bright red and we could hear the sigh of relief as he left the bus.

Yes I’m an old crustie.

oldreem
November 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks, TD. Got there in the end. Can’t imagine this site being constrained by PC and (within limits) good taste…

Fedaykin
November 27, 2013 2:25 pm

An innocent mistake more then likely by a PR person too young to know the significance of the same. I have many a friend in their thirties who is well educated that wouldn’t know the significance of the name.

It does make me slightly proud that our lads are maintaining the tradition of inappropriate and tasteless nick names. Reminds me of the call-signs chosen by the FAA pilots at Miramar in the 1960’s ” Cholmondley and Spastic”.

TED
TED
November 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Ohh I see an innocent mistake no doubt. None the less thoroughly inappropriate and worth a good giggle.

dave haine
dave haine
November 27, 2013 6:06 pm

@ Fedaykin

I must agree… The falkland islander nickname ‘stills’ always makes me chuckle…

Deja Vu
Deja Vu
November 28, 2013 6:42 am

Sadly I have confused hunger strikers. my anecdote related to Frank Stagg who died in Feb 76 not Bobby Sands who died 5 years later. Probably of no interest to anyone but if it is on the internet it has to be right, right?

Bombhead
Bombhead
November 29, 2013 8:24 am

@ Fedaykin

Got to aqgree :) My purile humour still means my initial impulse is to call anyone called Kerr ‘Wan’ – not in line with the company code of conduct apparently. A favourite was the ‘christening’ of one of ‘my’ SACs as Thromb (because he was a f***ing clot).

tweckyspat
November 29, 2013 9:46 am

I work in NATO circles and I have to admit desperately trying not to snigger when I meet some poor soul whose name doesn’t sound too clever in english

my Turkish colleage Beercan Testicle (bircan destigal) is perhaps the best example