Kite Bricks

Grown up Lego bricks have featured twice on Think Defence;

[browser-shot width=”600″ url=”https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2013/11/big-boys-legio-blocks/”]

and

[browser-shot width=”600″ url=”https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2013/11/big-boys-lego/”]

Both of these featured relatively simple precast concrete blocks for rapid construction of simple structures, potentially very useful for deployed expeditionary infrastructure.

This proposed solution from Kite Bricks goes a step further, integrating more complex building blocks with robotic construction techniques.

Read more at Kite Bricks, click here

July 18, 2014 9:49 am

Fascinating. My boy loves Lego and wants to be an architect: he’ll love it!

I suspect they’ll have to revert to manual once they get beyond a certain height: those robots don’t have a great reach and anything elevated will sway in the wind, removing the ability to place blocks with precision.

DavidNiven
DavidNiven
July 18, 2014 10:46 am

Moon base Alpha anyone?

Kent
Kent
July 18, 2014 1:30 pm

Or you could save the weight/bulk of transporting concrete blocks.

July 18, 2014 3:33 pm

@RT – Snap…”Gloomy & Red-Trousers, architects to the Gentry…dark, satanic mills a speciality…” :-) . I’d guess he will already have encountered it, but if not direct R. Trousers Minimus to Minecraft…Gloomy Junior has designed some spectacular Frank Lloyd Wright influenced mountain-top retreats on it…

GNB

PS We have a Lego Shop in Gloomyville…

July 18, 2014 8:15 pm

GNB,

The shaver is fully Minecrafted. He is glued to his Hudl as soon as he has done his homework. He has also once contrived an impressive Lego gate to his bedroom****. About a yard high, difficult to get your leg over. Took all of his bricks, but he managed the doorframe interface problem with blu-tack and sticky back Velcro, which pleased me.

****I don’t allow the children closed doors, because I know what a tearaway hooligan I was at their ages, plotting all sorts of mischief while out of sight. I was once banned from my air rifle aged about 11, and concocted a rival solution involving bungees and a pebble, frame mounted on my bedroom window, and aimed at the wood pigeons in the garden. And all behind a closed bedroom door while I was nominally studying for my Common Entrance. Bugger me but my first attempt went about 20 degrees left and too high, and took out the neighbours’ kitchen window while she was washing up. Cue Old Man RT and a thrashing with the stable belt.

July 18, 2014 10:39 pm

@RT – Happy days…we found a supply of black powder at the beginning of one summer holiday and contrived a small firearm to blast ball-bearings out of a basement window, over the ridge of the house that backed on to our then den, and into the river and woods beyond.

We underestimated the trajectory, and the neighbours never did work out how they lost a ridge tile, or what caused the ascending row of neat round holes in the roof…fortunately September arrived before we attempted to open a blocked Victorian culvert running under the Midland Main Line into the river with an IED; having deduced that it was clearly the well known “secret tunnel” leading to the ruined Abbey up the hill.

By the next year, we had discovered the fair sex which led to even more trouble of a very different sort; have you got a remote Convent booked for your daughter(s?) yet, or will you just conspicuously clean and oil the Purdeys whenever some young Toby or Tarquin calls?

GNB

July 18, 2014 11:24 pm

GNB,

I don’t worry about my daughter, as Mrs RT has her in hand. Some truly terrifying fate awaits her if she is not chaste and demure. I do not enquire the details. I do worry that boys aside she is likely to be road kill with her cycling, so we argue relentlessly about what is safe and what is foolish, even if technically she has the road law on her side.

The boy is still malleable. I encourage him to look at girls and quarry the same way. Out there, available, but you need to choose the right one, to be patient and not public, and when you go for it, go for the kill. Except obviously killing is a metaphor, it translates into shagging in your 20s, marrying in your 30s from a long list, then some serious shortlisting.

July 19, 2014 12:08 am

@RT – Must advise Gloomy Junior to treat young women with posh red-trousered Fathers and fiercely uncompromising Hidalgo Mothers with extreme caution, just in case… :-)

GNB

IXION
July 20, 2014 10:30 am

No 2 daughter aged nearly 16. (Well I say number 2 daughter; her nickname is Baelzebub, and one of the annoying hang overs from the cold war, is that we have to give the Russians 14 days notice if she is to leave the county): announced she had decided that local Chap and her were an item. He was just 16 plus.

I gave her ‘The talk’. We were in a car. I do not know if there is a laughter scale of any kind, but 12 miles later she was still laughing.

His parents also gave him ‘the talk’

I quite like the poor sod not overly gifted with brains but a decent guy.

He annoyed her last week so she left him locked in one of the barns for an hour…….

IXION
July 20, 2014 10:47 am

BTW

MINECRAFT ETC IS FOR WIMPS

try a game called Zoo Tycoon.

The aim is to build, fund and run a succesful Zoo. Keep electronic customers happy animals fed etc make a profit..

Daughter number no 2 was spactacularly succesful.

She was running it cheaply, and there was only one complaint which was later withdrave by the customer.

All however was not well…..

We descover there were no expences for the reptile house….she was not feeding the crocodiles, how we asked?

Easy she said she had located the complaints dept on an island in the middle of the crocodile pool, which customers had to wade thru to complain… Hence no budget for feeding crocodiles and no complaints.

The one that did get thru was about the reltive lacl of toilets. It was withdrawn automatically when the customer died. Of starvation. Having been walled up in an rea of the zoo by a square formed of toilets………

Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
August 4, 2014 11:20 am

Ah, so nice to have confirmed which of us, here on TD, aren’t slothful students barely out of the Diamond White and Spot Cream stage!

Dangerous Junior is also well into his Lego. Mainly of the Star Wars variety, and keeps threatening to make stop motion films of his creations and post them on You Tube! Also fully minecrafted, but plays on an XBox.

GNB, your anecdotes reminds me of my solution to thinning-out my burgeoning Airfix kit collection when I was 11 . . . cat gut strung between 2 trees, screw hooks in the dorsal spines of various Lancasters, Heinkels, and Mosquitos, then fireworks jammed up the rear . . . add in 2 front row seats for parents and it made for a very unusual November 5th display! :-)