Sea Control

In a previous post I briefly look at the role of HMS Bulwark during the Olympics and these photographs show how many small craft were in the task force.

Photex of the entire task force which is taking part in the Security of Op Olympics.

The area around Weymouth that was being covered by HMS Bulwark is in the grand scheme of things, relatively small (although very busy), so this number of small craft from many agencies demonstrates, at least to me, that for missions like this, there is no substitute for numbers.

That said, would a small number of maritime UAV’s like the Scan Eagle been able to reduce the need for so many small craft?

Jed
Jed
August 20, 2012 12:10 am

Probably not, as I don’t think we can fly UAV’s in such congested air space ?

The Other Chris
The Other Chris
August 20, 2012 9:30 am

A certified system such as Watchkeeper coming online in time would have been advantageous. Another reason why the programme is worth the effort despite the delays. A system capable of operation in civilian airspace is not only extremely useful to us, but eminently exportable too.

Andy
Andy
August 20, 2012 10:14 am

So how does a UAV speak to someone and tell them to turn around or move away?

Mark
Mark
August 20, 2012 10:24 am

Nice picture I assume we may need ribs ect to control this area as it was really a civil action I assume in a more military operation the roe may allow a quicker ability for weapons engagement.

A lot of the south of England is class A airspace not sure if it covers where the sailing was but watchkeeper won’t be flying in that no Uav will for a very very long time if ever.

DomS
DomS
August 20, 2012 2:05 pm

@Andy – I imagine the UAVs would be used to direct RHIBs and other assets to where they are needed, to intercept suspect vessels etc more efficiently, rather than to interdict directly.

twecky
twecky
August 27, 2012 10:48 am

wot no WAFUs ? I saw a press clipping that 814 NAS were involved ?