EM1 Assault Rifle – Provisional Manual

I have found online a few interesting equipment manuals from the forties and fifties.

The EM1 used an intermediate calibre round and was a leap ahead of the Enfield SMLE No 4, a bullpup, battledress and putties!

Have a read more at Wikipedia and Tony Williams site

Derek
Derek
August 5, 2012 10:40 pm

A great weapon design, along with the XE5 Taden GPMG chambered for the same round it would have made for a genuinely great package; its a real shame it never came to fruition. I believe the .280 cartridge was eventually known as the 7mm Mk1Z- no idea why.

martin
Editor
August 6, 2012 1:40 am

Its an amazingly futuristic looking weapon for the time. Must have been like giving the troops a ray gun.

John Hartley
John Hartley
August 6, 2012 7:37 am

Well the SA80 needs to be replaced soon. Quite like the idea of the Czech 7.62×45 necked down to 6.5mm, perhaps in a Tavor clone.

disgusted grange over sands
disgusted grange over sands
August 6, 2012 8:00 am

My last CCF camp was ’56 . Called of early because of Suez !

I was chatting to a weapons instructor who had been on trials of the 280 – he gave impression it was best thing since sliced bread – If I recall there was a requirement to go to NATO standard small arms ammunition that was key point in FN selection.

Phil
August 6, 2012 8:56 am

Bloody hell someone with ditties older than RT!

Nice rifle. Shame it was done for but I suspect it wasn’t particularly better than the SLR.

Swimming Trunks
Swimming Trunks
August 6, 2012 11:10 am

Awesome find TD! I’ve allways concentrated on the EM-2 becuse it almost made it in to service but the EM-1 is very interesting; especially the bipod!

Mike
Mike
August 6, 2012 11:34 am

‘cor… genesis of the ’85! Just seeing that image of a 50’s round helmet tommy (Pg.7) with something looking familiar to today’s is a little funky!

August 8, 2012 1:34 am

Interesting. I do think that if this was produced now in 5.56, it would still be a viable weapon.

Pity at that time, you guys didn’t tell the US to take a flying leap.

AKM
AKM
August 8, 2012 11:12 pm

Observer, if we’d introduced this rifle, would 5.56mm actually be needed?

Nick London
Nick London
August 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Pedantry warning.

The photos definitely show anklets not puttees.

I remember that puttees came in two varieties, Officer’s that you bought, and issue that were thicker and a darker colour. I had to return the latter and I still have the former (if She Who Must … has not thrown them out or used them for cleaning rags.)

On the post – brilliant find.

Couple of thoughts; as the E.M.1 fires from the closed position there was no need for a dust cover to be clagged on the side as an afterthought. The cleaning and stripping look a bit complicated. Use as an LMG is a bit optimistic I would have thought.

Nick

janus
janus
August 16, 2012 8:25 pm

John (hartley) mind posting a link to what you mean? I am intrigued (being a fan of the CZ works)

Jib Halyard
Jib Halyard
August 24, 2012 6:01 pm

@Derek:
any links to info on the Taden? i can’t find anything on it on the web…

Mr.fred