Obsvr
Obsvr
December 5, 2014 11:15 am

Only amateurs or the anally retentive tuck their ‘shirts’ in in tropical conditions. Proper tropical uniforms are designed to be worn with a maximum of loose clothing, any fule kno this. Of course webbing, etc, is a bit of a problem.

December 5, 2014 12:00 pm

When I wuz a lad, men wearing shirts not tucked in were viewed as scruffy and just a bit effeminate (this being a time when the proper attire for all social occasions was suit and tie). Exceptions were a) when doing manual labour, b) when on holiday, or c) off-duty in very hot weather. It must be an age thing…

Peter
Peter
December 5, 2014 5:30 pm

How odd, “Obsvr”. When I served in Hong Kong we wore our shirts tucked in.
Not because we were either amateurs or anal but because that’s what Squadron Orders dictated.
I thought this was a forum for ex or currently serving forces.
Bloomin Walts get everywhere. ;-)

CBRNGuru
CBRNGuru
December 5, 2014 9:08 pm

Not that I am a pessimist but the whole thing is cake and arse at the moment. The military are contracted to build 6 stations or hospitals if you wish to call them that. Only 1 has been built, there are 80 beds in each station. Only 20 beds are occupied, the local government is threatening to take control of the stations on the medical side. The security and logistics is run by KBR, they seem to have their act together, so where is the issue?

Well, since I have some contacts who are working there at the moment, it is not the military. They, as most of us are aware just do as they are told. The issue is with the NGO’s and NHS staff that cannot agree as to safety procedures and insist on everything being done through committee, seemingly the whole NHS bureaucracy is like taking one step forward and three steps back. Nobody has any idea who and when arses are going to been kicked to sort it out but as I indicated local government is losing patience as lives are being lost over the indecision’s.

Obsvr
Obsvr
December 6, 2014 4:46 am

I’ve never had a holiday posting in HK (or anywhere in SEA come to that), but I have spent the better part of 2 years on operations in jungle. Of course you do need a ‘modern’ shirt design, ie one designed in the ‘bush jacket’ cut. I’m always happy to enlighten the tropical warfare amateurs. Even thinking that HK had anything to do with reality suggests a grave plot loss problem!

Z
Z
December 8, 2014 12:55 am

@CBRN Guru

Sorry, just noticed your comment on this thread after drawing attention to on the ground problems in Sierra Leone on the Open Thread > https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2014/11/open-thread-2014-week-49/comment-page-2/#comments It would seem that there are higher level C2 issues at play also.