HMS Montrose – The Fighting Frigate

A video from the Royal Navy showcasing HMS Montrose

There are some really interesting bits of kit to spot, countermeasures and what looks like a Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD)

[browser-shot width=”600″ url=”http://www.lradx.com/site/content/view/15/110/”]

Trust the Japanese to test them out

Enigma
Enigma
March 30, 2014 1:59 pm

Thought than RN video was quite gd more like that would be gd. Apas,or tas must of had a word on your behave TD :).

WiseApe
March 30, 2014 2:23 pm

Speaking trumpets have come a long way.

All Politicians are the Same
All Politicians are the Same
March 30, 2014 6:01 pm

Going to have a word with Jim about those baseball caps.

Enigma
Enigma
March 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Baseball caps does that mean the RN are going all american?

Nicky
March 30, 2014 9:19 pm

That’s sweet

Engineer Tom
March 31, 2014 5:16 pm
Reply to  Enigma

It seems the new working uniform does include a baseball cap, but I can’t say you see many people wearing the new uniform, they might be transitioning it in when vessels deploy. I would prefer they keep the beret than go to the cap.
As long as they don’t change to a blue version of the Army’s uniform it is fine. Camo on a warship just looks stupid to me, if you can see the crew even in a white uniform you are going to be able to see the bloody ship.

Kent Horton
March 31, 2014 7:29 pm
Reply to  Engineer Tom

I asked one of our sailors about the Navy “camoflage” uniforms when we went to get updated dependent ID cards for my wife and grandson (I am his guardian). He said that a master chief told him they were cost-saving devices. The master chief said if you fell overboard wearing them, that it was a waste of time turning the ship around to look for you, so all that time and money could be saved.

Kent Horton
March 31, 2014 7:36 pm

Japanese whaling ships have used LRADs against the Sea Shepherd vessels and their crews, so they’ve gotten actual use out of them. Don’t know how effective they were, but at least they’re giving them real field testing.
I don’t want this to be misconstrued as support of Japanese whaling OR the actions of the Sea Shepherds.