Mapping the F Bomb

We all like a bit of swearing, well, I do anyway

Where in the world of Twitter are people dropping the F Bomb

[browser-shot width=”600″ url=”http://www.fbomb.co”]

So I know this has bugger all to do with UK defence, or defence in general for that matter, but consider how you might use this at a local level to obtain real-time intelligence or passively monitor all sorts of interesting keywords.

Geo reference your Tweets, use cheap smartphones with cameras that tweet images on a regular or triggered basis and you have an innocuous, simple to deploy and very effective means of monitoring urban areas in security operations.

Makes you think where all this is going

wf
wf
November 7, 2013 8:41 pm

#allahuakbar is trending on Red 5! Time to send the QRF!

mike
mike
November 7, 2013 9:30 pm

Fcuk the F bomb, just noticed a ‘like’ button with a very Facebook-a-like thumbs up.

Very nice, TD, very nice :D

*almost* makes me forget the loss of a T45 radar component!

dave haine
dave haine
November 7, 2013 10:02 pm

Shouldn’t the symbols be more, well, defence oriented like: thumbs up for like and two fingers up for dislike?

November 7, 2013 10:40 pm

As a teatotaller I object to the icons.

mr.fred
mr.fred
November 7, 2013 10:44 pm

Wait, what? Dislike is a cup of tea? NOT GOOD.

November 7, 2013 10:53 pm

I would demand an icon so I convey apathy, but I can’t be bothered.

November 7, 2013 11:42 pm

Outstanding memorial to the Great War Boss – a few months of liking/disliking one another’s comments should leave the site as an interlocking series of heavily armed camps, ready to mobilise at a moments notice…

I am now really looking forward to August 2014

GNB

Martin
Editor
November 8, 2013 4:15 am

seem to remember we had an agency called GCHQ specifically designed to do this but they got way to good at it and now the media wants rid of them.

does anyone else want the Guardian staff tried for treason and Edward Snowdon to suddenly develop a polonium poisoning case.

During the Cold War this would never have been allowed but now we just fighting terrorists so it’s ok apparently and the media can share classified information with our enemy’s under the guise of free speech.

and as for our so called allies who are furious about us spying on them I think its just a case of envy that they are not good enough to do it? German counter intel must be pretty crap if their leaders mobile phone can be hacked.

Brian Black
Brian Black
November 8, 2013 11:01 am

TD should remove the ambiguity of his icons by using an F35B flown by a RAF pilot and an F35B flown by a FAA pilot.

That would be a lot clearer.

a
a
November 8, 2013 12:09 pm

If you’re more than 100 km from the epicentre, you’ll probably read tweets about the earthquake before you feel the ground shaking…http://xkcd.com/723/

#allahuakbar is trending on Red 5! Time to send the QRF!

You joke, but the financial sector (in particular) has been doing a lot of stuff on this; turns out you can do things like automatically parsing millions of tweets and classifying them as “cheerful” or “gloomy” and that gives you a decent indicator of market sentiment. There’s so much you can do with publicly available information, makes you wonder why they need to read everyone’s emails – except that, of course, they can, and if you have a capability you’re going to use it, just to justify your existence.

November 8, 2013 12:48 pm

@a – I don’t send millions of tweets, or indeed any…is someone out there impersonating me?

Gloomy

a
a
November 8, 2013 2:05 pm

Yes: what’s more, he’s impersonating you to Donald Sutherland.

HurstLlama
HurstLlama
November 8, 2013 2:05 pm

Having just clicked on the glass of beer icon for Mr. Black’s post above. I would like to make clear that its was a FAA click of approval and not a Crab Air one.

SR
SR
November 8, 2013 4:33 pm

Reassuringly, the defence internet portal has blocked the like/dislike buttons.

Can someone dislike the MOD for me please.