Paul Robinson
Paul Robinson
October 25, 2013 10:05 am

Small museum near the site in Azincourt (as ever a misspelling of Frog place names by us “merde Anglos”) Pas-de-Calais. Seemingly lot of us Brits turn up at one of the several other Agincourts further south in France. http://www.azincourt-medieval.fr/ . Was no sign of the battle site until a local ex pat English teacher set up a small display, which turned into a museum, when the locals twigged it was a possible money spinner for tourists. Hope to visit one day when done traipsing around the closer WWI battlesites & Maginot line remnants here in the north.

paul g
October 25, 2013 1:00 pm

tis is also the birthday of some devilishly handsome young(ish) contributor to this blog!!!!

October 25, 2013 2:04 pm

@TD – Quite right – only a matter of time before someone who was there turns up from this crowd..!

GNB

as
as
October 25, 2013 4:32 pm

as
as
October 25, 2013 4:36 pm

ok its from the siege of Harfleur but it is still a good speech

Paul Robinson
Paul Robinson
October 25, 2013 5:25 pm

I edge closer & closer to the guillotine as i’ve just shared Ken Brannagh’s version with commentary in French for me French hosts, also noting he’s a fellow Ulsterman. Shouting “Up the rebels & to hell with Burgundy” doesn’t seem to impress em either. Who’s Shakespeare?

October 25, 2013 5:30 pm

I’m sure there’s a chap in vanguard wearing smart Red Hose, and another with a surcoat in Navy Blue adorned with a large X; nobody in polyester that I can see though…

GNB

WiseApe
October 26, 2013 9:43 am

We’ll never know (unless we nick Iran’s time machine) what Henry did or said to galvanise his tired, dysentery plagued army to knock seven bells out of a larger, fresher force fighting to defend their homeland from invaders (from their pov :-) ). I saw a documentary a few years ago which claimed it was all caused by the mud, causing a Hillsboro-like crush amongst the French once their initial charge had been halted by the archers. That might hold water were it not for the fact that we have the earlier battles of Crecy and Poitiers to go on.

tjposhea
tjposhea
October 26, 2013 11:15 am

Richard Holmes was a favourite historian of mine and influenced me takining International Politics and Military History at university. As a member of the National Army Museum since I was five I was lucky enough to hear him talk. I have most of his books and many of them are signed by the man himself. A great loss to the world of military history as is the more recent loss of John Keegan.

October 26, 2013 11:28 am

@Wise Ape – Difference between a small but to all intents and purposes professional Army with a clear structure for command and control and an unwieldy feudal mob stiffened by a few professional soldiers and handicapped by a lot of brave but undisciplined Prima Donnas in my view…

GNB

HurstLlama
HurstLlama
December 29, 2013 2:24 pm

” I saw a documentary a few years ago which claimed it was all caused by the mud,”

Mr. Ape,

The problem with that theory is that the English army advanced twice the distance that the French had to and there is no report of us being hampered by the mud. Additionally, the French cavalry advanced got shot at and ran away (trampling their own infantry as they did so) also without the mud hampering their movement.

Frankly, I think the mud issue is an excuse thrown up by the Frogs to try and excuse the fact that they got stomped, again.

P.S. Guess who got a book on Agincourt for Christmas.