The TD Purple Reading List

As a diversion from refreshing all the long form content, I have created, in conjunction with others (you know who you are, cheers), a joint forces reading list.

• The Contemporary Operating Environment
  • Leadership
  • Acquisition
  • Strategy
  • Change
  • Land
  • Maritime
  • Air/Space
  • Info Ops and Cyber
  • Logistics

Each of the 10 themes has 10 books.

There is also a companion section for online resources; blog posts (cough cough), podcasts, video and journal articles.

I want to ‘crowd source’ this so at the minute, it is intentionally think on detail.

If you fancy a diversion from boxes of spanners and submarines with cracks, leave a comment to make a suggestion.

CLICK HERE

Robert
Robert
February 18, 2017 11:27 pm

Losing Small Wars – Frank Ledgwick

Doc
Doc
February 18, 2017 11:27 pm

The Cruel Sea has to be there under Maritime. One of the best books on Men and war – along with Quartered Safe Out Here – that I have ever read.

February 21, 2017 11:06 pm

…Alfred Thayer Mahan and Carl Von Clausewitz; oldies, but definitely goodies…so good, in fact that I used both of them getting an MBA…

GNB

JohnHartley
JohnHartley
February 24, 2017 8:32 pm

To Rule The Waves- Arthur Herman
Britain & the H-Bomb – Lorna Arnold
The Hunt for Zero Point – Nick Cook
Islam without Extremes – Mustafa Akyol
Commanding Officers – David Miller
The Age of Uncertainty – John Kenneth Galbraith

andyreeves9
andyreeves9
March 22, 2017 7:34 pm

what happened to the naval two powers standard act of 1889(google it)

Barborossa
Barborossa
March 31, 2017 10:50 am

DAVID EDGERTON Britain’s War Machine Weapons, Resources and Experts in the Second World War

An interesting study on how Britain prepared for and fought WW2. Explodes a few myths on the way, as well as digging at certain politicians (in particular Churchill) and scientists on the way.

Worth reading because, IMO, it demonstrates how the UK talked itself into a post-war industrial decline.

Anuj Agarwal
Anuj Agarwal
April 4, 2017 10:26 am

Hi Think Defence Team,

My name is Anuj Agarwal. I’m Founder of Feedspot.

I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog Think Defence has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 60 Military Blogs on the web.

I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 60 Military Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.

Best,
Anuj

Anuj Agarwal
Anuj Agarwal
April 7, 2017 11:32 am

Hi Think Defence Team,

My name is Anuj Agarwal. I’m Founder of Feedspot.

I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog Think Defence has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 100 Defense Blogs on the web.

I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 100 Defense Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.

Best,
Anuj

Rodney
Rodney
July 4, 2017 12:04 pm

For ‘Leadership’ there’s this one in French “Envoyez les hélicos !” by Pierre Verborg. Explains how he led his ship-based helicopters into battle in Libya and elsewhere. I have not read a better description of how to lead men into battle, and how to deal with them when they start to have trouble following orders,