Disqus

After struggling with the commenting system, a tidal wave of SPAM and generally arsing about running a blog instead of writing for a blog I am going to give Disqus a whirl later.

After trialling it on the staging site the end result is pretty good.

Comments will be switched off during the migration process and if all goes well,

Standby

Standby

UPDATE 1

The import process  can take up to 24 hours, especially on large comment databases, TD, with over 105,600 and something odd comments is not small.

UPDATE 2

You don’t need a Disqus account to comment, I have enabled guest commenting. However, by not registering (and verifying your account) you will miss out on some of the features

UPDATE 3

The jump to specific comments does not work now but on the left hand side is the screen is the ‘elevator’ that allows rapid jumping to the top, bottom and any headings in the post

UPDATE 4

Help and guidance here

[browser-shot width=”600″ url=”http://help.disqus.com/customer/portal/topics/215154-commenting/articles”]
March 22, 2014 4:32 pm

Can’t blame you SPAM is a pain.

It will really be good bye from me because I won ‘t join Disqus.

Bye all.

March 22, 2014 5:29 pm

That was a good move, all threads had zero comments at the end EVEN THOUGH I was logged in on Disqus.
– but not logged in on the email account wherefrom I verified Disqus.

I am not planning to be logged in on all of my email accounts at the same time, just to access a blog. Or many, as it happens to be most ofnthe time.

But I presume this is all down to the transition?

March 22, 2014 5:36 pm

Clickin on any of the Ten Last Comments takes to the beginning of the thread. Without pagination and page jumping by number my thumbs will get RMI’ed from the scrolling to the end.

I will now give this a rest and come back to check later.

March 22, 2014 5:37 pm

What’ s wrong with the comment time ordering?

March 22, 2014 5:57 pm
Reply to  accattd

Ok, now they appear in time order.

TED
TED
March 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Hmm Now lets see how does this work?!? Well thats not so bad really even an idiot can use it :D

March 22, 2014 6:59 pm

RE “on the left hand side is the screen is the ‘elevator’ that allows rapid jumping”
– yeah, on my PC, yes
– on a 7 inch tablet (I use the best selling model in the UK, so many others do, too) the same thing is just a relative location indicator

WiseApe
March 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Am I alone in not being able to see any comments, except those on this thread?

The Other Chris
March 22, 2014 7:29 pm

Just testing.

March 22, 2014 7:32 pm
Reply to  WiseApe

According to my PC all historic (pre-discus) comments are lost. Start again then.

But I haven’t found how to post anything other than ‘reply’ – there isn’t a ‘post a new comment’ option, at least not on this PC

Simon257
Simon257
March 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Testing Testing….

Simon257
Simon257
March 22, 2014 7:36 pm

Well that seems to work!! The Technophobe that I am!

The Other Chris
March 22, 2014 8:28 pm
Reply to  Chris

“Join the Discussion” box at the top of the Comments section.

The Other Chris
March 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Link to a list of accepted tags in Disqus comments:

You can also highlight/tag other users by starting to type their name after the ‘@’ symbol and selecting their name from the pick list.

Frenchie
Frenchie
March 22, 2014 8:50 pm

essai one

DGOS
DGOS
March 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Think I’ve got It!

March 22, 2014 8:51 pm

Silly me – I expected to find the new comment widget just below the last posted one. So on long threads, we go from reading the latest comments at the end all the way to the top to enter something ourselves, if we don’t want to ‘reply’ to one comment in particular. Logical…

Also, as a guest sign in, the name & e-mail fields can’t be fussed to remember the last entries from this IP, unlike the last system.

It may just be my Luddite tendencies, but I’m not seeing many advantages yet. My last comment fell into the maws of the new spamsniffer for a while before arriving on screen – meet the new boss, same as the old boss

CheshireCat
CheshireCat
March 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Right, I’m obviously being thick or impatient and probably both, is it just the the transition to disqus that is stopping me accessing the comments on any thread other than this . . . not sure I’ll sleep until I get to read what’s going on the Brimstone thread!!
Appreciate that you had to do something like this TD, so it’s just a stupid question, definitely not a criticism!

CC

Simon
Simon
March 22, 2014 9:06 pm

1..2..3..

The Other Chris
March 22, 2014 9:09 pm
Reply to  CheshireCat

Yes. Just the transition. The updates to the original post and @thinkdefence:disqus’s subsequent comments cover the details. All will be back soon.

Simon
Simon
March 22, 2014 9:09 pm

When I add a comment I pick a name, email and password…

Is that creating a Disqus account?
Is the email visible to anyone?
I also assume anyone could hijack a name???

March 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Sorry x, this is Simon testing…

Simon
Simon
March 22, 2014 9:11 pm
Reply to  x

Strewth.

If you remain anonymous you can certainly hijack names :-(

Simon
March 22, 2014 9:14 pm

Okay, that was pretty painless. I just logged in (above right of new comment bow), created a new account with my old TD name (I think the email was the same).

I’ve even got the same avatar – so I assume I picked the same email :-)

You have to verify your email address by return-of-post.

Topman
Topman
March 22, 2014 9:35 pm

The log in doesn’t seem to work. Guest does though.

Simon257
Simon257
March 22, 2014 9:46 pm

Well, I’ve even managed to get myself an Avatar! Will wonders never cease!

The Other Chris
March 22, 2014 10:00 pm
Reply to  thinkdefence

It’s not just you :)

RT
RT
March 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Don’t all drink the Disqus Kool Aid too deeply. There are massive security flaws in it, and being globally popular as a comment aggregator, attractive to hackers. I’m not signing up.

RT

IXION
IXION
March 22, 2014 11:30 pm

Cant get. Disqus account to work how do I join in?

Simon257
Simon257
March 22, 2014 11:41 pm
Reply to  thinkdefence

That’s all right then, I was just about to smash my iPad up!!

March 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Seems straightforward, but I will be concerned if old friends like @x & @RT leave the conversation….

GNB

March 23, 2014 12:07 am

Test transmission post-verification. GNB

Challenger
Challenger
March 23, 2014 1:26 am

Easy enough, guess time will tell how effective this is.

March 23, 2014 8:26 am

Today’s tip:
Join Disqus from Gmail, and open up the connection to all your Google+ aggregated interests, should someone be interested. Click on the tinyURL/ PIC links created by others on the same fora, and your anonymity is gone as the creator can profile the traffic.
– Google created the above to make it attractive to companies, but pesky individuals and professional intelligence services have cottoned on long ago.

I was only joking when I said that I will next publish how you can also be GPS-tracked, in addition to the Intel backdoor to your data and communications. Now I think I will… i just wasn’t sure how widely it is on the Internet, unlike the backdoor story that got spread with the Snowden affair details.

March 23, 2014 8:45 am

On the positives:
– I like the fixed max length and the *more* button if the “taster” warrants the use of it
– and that you can flip between the oldest/newest ordering… Still a mystery for me why thebvery newest pops up on top of the ” oldest” queue, but probably to help one to see if the comment you are making has just been overtaken by somebody else’s

I am afraid that because the “elevator” function on my tablet is very partial, I will use the newest on top view. Apologies ahead of time if it repeats somebody’s comment that I should have read, following the time order.
– pagination and jumping by number would work on any device, but may not exist in Disqus?

Mickp
Mickp
March 23, 2014 8:46 am

Ok seems to work

March 23, 2014 9:19 am

This is my 25th online account, all with different passwords. I think my brain is now full.

Bobbie Ball
Bobbie Ball
March 23, 2014 9:57 am

Test comment (post disqus registration) first comment hasn’t appeared on this thread.

Bobbie Ball
Bobbie Ball
March 23, 2014 10:06 am

TD any idea how long it will take for older thread comments to migrate?

The Other Chris
March 23, 2014 10:10 am
Reply to  RedTrousers

But you’re up and running and part of the discussion now! Bringing the Cavalry perspective to the Social Media Age with an overhead Aerostat to back you up. Young kids won’t know what hit ’em :)

All Politicians are the Same
All Politicians are the Same
March 23, 2014 10:19 am

Test

March 23, 2014 10:24 am

I have written down all of my accounts and passwords on a slip of paper, and hidden them in Mrs RT’s knicker drawer, because no fucker apart from me gets in there, and because I only trust her with my money.

I now need to invest in a Rottweiler to stop either of us from doing anything silly with the pensions.

Simon
March 23, 2014 10:24 am
Reply to  RedTrousers

The “different password” issue heh. I use a simple concept… Pick a VERY secure password for your banking/pension/etc sites, pick another for your phone/gas/elec sites, and another for things that don’t really matter. That way if you are compromised on the final one you don’t get your bank account emptied and you don’t have to rememeber 600 different passwords.

The above is probably frowned upon by security experts ;-)

March 23, 2014 10:30 am
Reply to  Simon

“Security Experts”…

Apparently I am one, as I head our Security Division. What that means in practice is that I manage some very strait-laced people who are constantly disappointed in my lack of technical skill, horrified by my propensity to cuddle up to prospective customers with only a Dun & Bradstreet done, or worse that we were at School together or I once shagged their cousin, and amazed when we exceed profit, revenue and orders targets. I meanwhile am merely grateful that I am employed on looks alone, and that Mrs RT has not changed the locks while I have been out, nominally at “work”.

Bobbie Ball
Bobbie Ball
March 23, 2014 10:40 am
Reply to  Bobbie Ball

anonymized my earlier test comment.

Ant
Ant
March 23, 2014 10:55 am

How do you get to see a reply to an old post/know it is there if the discussion has moved on past it?

Enigma
Enigma
March 23, 2014 11:05 am

Testing who’s knows if this is gonna work so have change my name from mark to enigma

March 23, 2014 11:33 am

RT – I’m much taken with the idea of a rottweiler as ones IFA – must make those tricky discussions about the overdraft much more rewarding… :-)

GNB

March 23, 2014 11:38 am
Reply to  thinkdefence

We will probaby get rid of impersonators in the sense of someone fomenting the discussion by presenting extreme views (which they do not actually hold)

Radwulf
Radwulf
March 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Test.

Radwulf
Radwulf
March 23, 2014 12:18 pm
Reply to  Radwulf

And reply.

March 23, 2014 12:25 pm

An overdraft is somebody else’s problem, surely?

The thing with Rottweilers is that there is too much Labrador in them, by which I mean that they are quite happy to be anyone’s dog. I need a breed that is both vicious and will not allow anyone but it’s Master to control it. Perhaps I need a cat. Or a horse. I once was owned by a polo pony called Frankie who I swear was ungovernable. I had to sell the thing to a middleman for Findus foods, and hopefully it became Lasagne.

March 23, 2014 1:21 pm

I don’t think we ever had the problem of people posting views that they do not hold. We might have had some extreme pro-carrier views posted, but those were by known extremists and rapidly discounted by thinking people. ;)

GreenWaterNavy
March 23, 2014 1:35 pm

OK, joined via my Twitter account. Too bad my TD-name (McZ) was already occupied. Guess that was something that had to happen sooner or later. Wonder how x, a and other folks with short names will transition.

March 23, 2014 1:39 pm
Reply to  RedTrousers

As we have a lot of thinking people here, don’t you think this would be an ideal test bed for what propaganda messages might wash with the broader public… By positing the polar opposite view for the test run?

Maybe even having a sidekick to feed in a few neutral facts so that the valid arguments and counter-arguments could be fully inventoried.

I am not discounting the possibility that we, as the collective membership, have been played recently.

March 23, 2014 1:48 pm

The theory goes that permutations have been used to squat on all four letter acronyms so that you can cash in on the needs of those who truly want to the use of them.

4x taken up, going to seven characters will beat these permutation operators for sure… OK, we are talking user names, not domains, but anyway.

March 23, 2014 2:10 pm
Reply to  RedTrousers

I’m afraid being broke as well as Gloomy and Northern, mine is still in the category of being my problem…but many congratulations on having one that’s the bank’s problem… :-)

March 23, 2014 2:17 pm

I’m not sure I have a problem at all. The only life lesson I have learned is let your wife have total control over the money. I have no idea how much we have, but it seems to be slightly more each year. I put in for a £5k pay rise each year as a matter of form, but I haven’t opened a pay statement for the last 4 years, so I’m unsure if I get it.

The Other Chris
March 23, 2014 2:52 pm
Reply to  Ant

If you have a Disqus account you should be notified of replies to your comments automatically. There’s a Notifications section in your Disqus settings to customise.

March 23, 2014 4:36 pm
Reply to  RedTrousers

Are you sure Lady RT isn’t from Yorkshire? Sounds surprisingly like the arrangements here at Gloomy Court…but less dour, obviously…

March 23, 2014 4:39 pm
Reply to  accattd

If there is anyone (allegedly) important out there keeping an eye on our conversations, they really are in trouble…

Ant
Ant
March 23, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi TOC
Thanks, yes I got an email you had replied to me (without quite realising I had asked for notifications), but what about when someone replies to an interesting point upthread by a different poster?

James Bolivar DiGriz
James Bolivar DiGriz
March 23, 2014 7:11 pm
Reply to  thinkdefence

“you can sort the comments by oldest, newest or best”

Well sort of. The Telegraph uses Disqus and when commenting there I had to change it to ‘oldest’ every time I went to a blog, i.e. it did not stick between sessions.

I complained to the Discus people and after a couple of weeks of asking me increasingly silly questions they admitted that it was a bug in their software that (I gathered) affected a minority of users.

Eventually the bug was fixed and it is more or less okay but occasionally (once a fortnight?) it will revert to the default.

The latest, frequent, Discus bug I have is that it cannot decide if I am logged in or not.

On a blog it will tell me that I am not signed in but if I go to the sign-in page it tells me that I am signed in. If I sign out and in again that normally sorts it out for a day or so.

Jim

The Other Chris
March 23, 2014 7:44 pm
Reply to  Ant

Not sure about a chain of comments yet, though I’d like to know if it’s possible myself. You can follow specific commenters however. Click on their names, you get to see a pop up with a list of their latest comments and there’s a Follow button there too.

March 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Ahah! A little red dot appears when an old comment attracts further comments. But only for one’s own contributions, everything else getting elaborated further back in the thread disappears into the mist of history?
– for the latter part, just giuessing.

March 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Still no sign of our old comments…is it the Year Zero?

Jedibeeftrix
March 23, 2014 4:19 pm
Reply to  RedTrousers

Install a MD5 hash generator App on your phone/tablet/laptop/supercomputer.

Then use a set of standard phrases like:
“my thinkdefence password”
“sainsburys drains my money”
“amazon owns my credit card”
“the wife must not guess the laura ashley password”
“barclays will pay for refusing my overdraft request”

Whatever, as long as they are memorable, and then type that phrase into your hash generator App.

You will get a complete gibberish code in return, but it will always be the same code for the same phrase in return.

Then simply standardise on using the first eight digits of the code, or perhaps the last eight, or even the first four and the last four.

That way you can remember millions of unguessable passwords.
You can even write the phrases down if you want, because no-one knows which part of the hash code you have chosen to use as the password.

Hashdroid is a good open source MD5 hash generator if you use an android phone.

March 24, 2014 6:00 pm
Reply to  thinkdefence

I’m sure Red Trousers will lend you the sniper if you need to smarten them up at all…

March 24, 2014 7:40 pm
Reply to  thinkdefence

TD, I feel your pain after having had technocrats whining all last week at me about importing NATO databases after we won a NATO contract. That’s what’s called chuffing Contingency I didn’t tell them, despite having built it in. They’ll do it, within time and under budget, because they are very good indeed.

If it all goes tits up for you, I can offer you the following key phrases to categorise my paltry posts over the last three years:

Carriers

Chenowth Light Strike Vehicle

Knockers

Deniable lap dance dives in Poland (,or in this case, a travelling Polish Circus of lap dancing that went to Zagreb. I think you deleted that one as it was a bit filthy, but before I got to the important bit in which CDS was inadvertently loaded onto an Antonov that flew to the Ukraine, not to Northolt. And there were mega-HR-type eruptions in which RT had to keep his head down for many months). And towards the culmination of which, RT having elected for a further 3 months of distance from the Army and CDS, who had RT’s number by then, I was on secondment (wish it had been quin-torment) to the Foreign Legion in Sarajevo. I wrote to my mother declaring that I was in the Legion of the Damned. I really bloody was by then.

We don’t rate Kevins, but enjoy sparring with PWOs provided they have a proper tailor and don’t wear polyester.

WW55
WW55
March 24, 2014 8:03 pm
Reply to  Jedibeeftrix

Testing making a comment

Usefull suggestion. Gonna give it a try. Thanks.

WW55 (WW before the Disqus era)

The Other Chris
March 24, 2014 8:16 pm

Only real grumble I have is not being able to jump directly to a comment when you click said comments link. Anything in the Settings/API you can tweak?

Edit:

Oh and for some reason clicking the notification bubble next to your name above the main comment box doesn’t open your list of notifications directly. It works if I Ctrl-click the bubble to open in a new window and click it open from there however.

Repulse
Repulse
March 24, 2014 9:31 pm
Reply to  DGOS

Test

Phil
March 25, 2014 3:28 pm

I go overseas for a few days and the world has turned upside down. I’m cold and frightened.

March 25, 2014 3:52 pm

ADD: Last 25 comments looking a bit sickly

[decent-comments number=”25″ show_avatar=”false” excerpt=”false” strip_tags=”FALSE” /]

March 25, 2014 8:37 pm
Reply to  Phil

There is a thread about Tanks somewhere hereabouts – that will cheer you up…