Consequences

Decisions have consequences.

When you shovel extra costs like Trident into an already creaking budget, this happens.

When you concentrate on vainglorious major equipment projects at the expense of all else, this happens.

When you run the MoD for the benefit of a rapacious industry, this happens.

When you grandstand on the world stage but fail to fund defence, this happens.

When you have a revolving door between industry and the armed forces/civil service, this happens.

When you can’t find your arse with both hands, this happens.

screenshot.12

screenshot.10

Shame on all those who run defence and the politicians that peddle the same bullshit about defence as they always have.

Topman
Topman
January 20, 2012 8:06 am

Second headline is particularly disappointing, barrack blocks and housing seems always to be the first to be robbed of funds or put on hold whenever there is a funding issue.

Tubby
Tubby
January 20, 2012 8:57 am

I had a mate who was seconded for a short period dealing with maintenance and improvement of housing from his normal Defence Estates job (which as far as I can work out is to do with managing teams of estate surveyors doing condition surveys) – he admitted that some of the accommodation was diabolical, not fit to keep a pig in, but other accommodation was in a better condition than his house. He remembers (based on my drunken recollection of his anecdote) one particularly vocal Army wife complaining that her house was disgusting and when he went in the problem turned out to be the fact that the kitchen and bathroom were not brand spanking new and she was blowing a fuse as it was not to her taste.

Ed Zeppelin
Ed Zeppelin
January 20, 2012 9:39 am

Tubby, your ‘I had a mate’ story is in no way indicative of 99.9% of army accomodation. Pipe down.

January 20, 2012 10:27 am

The bill for this lot per year is twice the cost of running the Trident for one year.

Shall I get my duffle-coat out TD and join you on a march to Aldermaston?

paul g
January 20, 2012 11:23 am

speaking to friends still in, it’s amazing the difference between today and the options for change days. So many people disappointed they WEREN’T selected for redundancy

DominicJ
DominicJ
January 20, 2012 11:33 am

Paul
The job market aint that bad, I’m out of my job 31/03, nice pay off, and with a bit of luck, I’ll start a new job 01/04.

paul g
January 20, 2012 11:42 am

I know, but in the 90’s most people were hoping to avoid the brown letter, now they’re seeking it, not just for the payout (which ain’t ‘arf bad) they are just fed up. I know a lad down the road, hates coming home as he sees the usual culprits taking the piss with the system, big house, nice car all paid for through the system.

Jed
Jed
January 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Yep, doomed, doomed I telly ya…….

We are condemned to repeat history – At least one Roman Legion mutinied after returning from campaign in Spain to find the “bread and games” crowd living it large on land that had originally been allocated for the legions veterans. Chavs, it appears, have a long, if not distinguished history !!