UK, New Zealand and Australia Collaborate on Naval Design

The UK, New Zealand and Australia have commenced on an information-sharing agreement that will inform designs for future naval surface vessels.

Information exchanges are expected to continue around the Pacific 2010 conference and exhibition, running in Sydney from 27-29 January.

Australia is planning to replace its existing ANZAC class frigates in the post-2020 period and also has similar plans to the Royal Navy with regards to consolidating its minor vessels (hydrographic, patrols etc) into one class.

Although timescales might be slightly different, this is an interesting development. With multi-nation EU collaborative efforts having such a poor track record of delivery and cost control creating project partnerships with nations like Australia, New Zealand and perhaps Canada would seem an attractive option; culturally, militarily and economically there are many synergies.

It is just talks about possible futures at the minute, but one worth watching and hoping for, much to gain for all here.

H/T http://www.janes.com/news/defence/jdw/jdw100125_1_n.shtml

DominicJ
January 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Christ wheres this bit of sense come from?

Jed
Jed
January 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Sssshhhhh’ – dont jinx it…. :-)

Phil Darley
January 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Don’t hold your breath, The MoD hae already said that the timescales do not coincide. This is just another delaying tactic. It will all in in tears and the net result will be further delay. The MoD love setting up joint projects like this, they can waste millions of pounds and years of effort getting absolutely nowhere.

Euan
January 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Somebody slap me, we are actually going to work and cooperate with countries that speak the same language and have commonalities with us. I thought that was illegal as it actually makes sense and does not conform with EU integrationist path.

admin
Admin
January 27, 2010 9:53 pm
Reply to  Euan

I would agree with Phil, don’t hold your breath and I dont think this will go beyond swapping PowerPoints

Greater military collaboration with Commonwealth nations is something I think we should be seriously looking at doing more of

13th Spitfire
January 27, 2010 11:15 pm

I wonder how this plays into Dr. Fox’ plan to end EU defence cooperation, perhaps a bit of pragmatism, for once, from the MoD?

Jed
Jed
January 28, 2010 1:23 am

I have no details on any of the participants time frames, but the MoD comment strikes me as odd. We need to replace T23, Aussies and Kiwi’s need to replace ANZAC’s (and Perry), I am not sure when my adopted homeland (Canada) intends to replace its general purpose frigates (I think the Iroquis class are first). Wouldn’t a single multi-role frigate class for all the Queen’s Royal Navies be great !

Euan
January 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Jed that makes sense so the chances are it will never ever happen in a million years no matter how much I hope it does happen. If I’m not completely crazy the Queen’s navies have things in common that should make things much easier. Such as they were once the same navy and even after that used the same equipment up until 20-30 years ago. Not to mention we speak the same language so we can sit down and talk without a dozen people speaking and translating at the same time. There are still huge problems so although we would have many things in common there would be major differences that could still sink a Commonwealth Frigate. As an extra note we need new tankers at some point especially solid support for the carriers and the commonwealth auxiliaries are starting to get old. Maybe more scope for cooperation? Future Ad Hoc Commonwealth Navy yes please :-)