Hot off the press, Bob Ainsworth MP is still speaking in the House of Commons but the MoD has now published the much anticipated Green Paper.
Remember the Green Paper (Adaptability and Partnership: Issues for a Strategic Defence Review) is designed to frame and inform the debate.
Click HERE to download
No doubt there will be lots of interesting debate over the coming weeks as journalists, analysts, bloggers and interested parties absorb the text.
We will of course have a look in depth over the coming weeks.
Key questions are
- Given that domestic security cannot be separated from international security, where should we set the balance between focusing on our territory and region and engaging threats at a distance?
- What approach should we take if we employ the Armed Forces to address threats at distance?
- What contribution should the Armed Forces make in ensuring security and contributing to resilience within the UK?
- How could we more effectively employ the Armed Forces in support of wider efforts to prevent conflict and strengthen international stability?
- Do our current international defence and security relationships require rebalancing in the longer term?
- Should we further integrate our forces with those of key allies and partners?
- To what extent and in what areas should we continue to refocus our current efforts on Afghanistan?
To gauge how important defence and security is to our glorious leaders look at the House of Commons discussing it (most of them are there to ask questions about the defence related jobs in their constituents)
Standing room only!