Reported in the Times today is a series of planned cuts to the armed services ahead of the future Security and Defence Review.
When looking at these one should realise that they are options, presented and discussed in the normal line of business and not necessarily going to actually happen.
It does show the general direction of travel though.
- Scrapping of the Officer Training Corps (OTC)
- Withdrawal of troops from Cyprus
- MRA4 delayed
- Closing up to three airbases
- Reducing the £700m annual bill for army accommodation by giving soldiers housing credits to buy or rent property.
- Axeing the grace and favour homes provided to 20 army, navy and air force chiefs
- Closing Aldershot and Shrewsbury, two of the army’s five regional headquarters
- Privatising parts of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, the organisation that repairs and supplies naval vessels